Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Arm Extension

Last night was another late evening spent in therapy sessions for Jayden. I am floored by his progress. Typically, Jayden's right hand remains in the "fencing" position. If you look at pictures of him, you can see it. He doesn't use his right hand and for about 4 years myself and his many doctors and therapists have been trying to get him to use his arm as an assist, if not 100%. Until yesterday, literally, it didn't look good for him. All of the prompting in the world couldn't get him to extend, or even acknowledge his right arm.

During therapy yesterday, a health care equipment repairer (yes, this a real occupation, much like a mechanic, but for wheelchairs and such) made adjustments to his chair. His physical therapist noticed that while he was making deliberate movements with his left hand (movements that were geared toward escaping and evading the evil wheelchair), his right was involuntarily moving as well. Believe it or not, this is considered progress. A few minutes later, he grasped his right arm with his left. (He has done this in the past, but seemed to always regard his arm as a random, curious object apart from his body, this is the first he ever seemed to grasp it with purpose).  About 30 minutes after that, while the therapist was working with him, she and I were talking, and not actively paying attention to Jayden. Lo and behold, he reached his right arm toward something shiny on his wheelchair tray. His arm was almost fully extended! We were able to coax him into this wonderful extension about five times after that.

When his occupational therapist arrived, he of course wouldn't extend his arm if it meant saving the world. That is, until she and I pretended not to acknoweledge him. Then, suddenly, there it was again, extension, a deviation from his "fencing" position. I could barely contain my excitement! Most parents get to witness first steps, first words, etc. Moments like these are the milestones I record and remember for Jayden.

When Jayden was initially diagnosed with cerebral palsy, he prognosis was bleak. Most of the doctorsthat evaluated him didn't seem hopeful about his future, and his ability to become independant.

The thing with cerebral palsy though, is that it doesn't get worse over time. Either you stay the same, or improve. Jayden has been improving monumentally since he started treatment at Fitzgerald's Children's Therapy, here in Fayette-Nam. Despite my general feelings toward Fayetteville (not positive ones), I'd be a fool not to admit that the medical facilities in this area are outstanding.

I think also, Jayden is becoming more cognizant, which motivates him to progress. He sees what other people around him are able to do, and he wants to do it too. Continued therapy, Botox treatments (yes you read that right) and the activities that I do at home with him serve to strengthen his neurological pathways and increase the traffic that runs between his brain and his body. The traffic makes the signals the brain sends the body stronger, causing Jayden to be able to move more and more like a "normal" child. (This is the best way I can explain it, considering my lack of schooling for neuerology. I just try to repeat what doctors tell me and hope I am making sense).

The abilities of Jayden's brain seem to have always exceeded those of his body. As he progresses, this gap seems to be closing. As his mother, I pray nearly every second of the day, that one day his body will match his mind, and that both will eventually allow him to  sit up, crawl, walk, talk and just do what I can tell he WANTS to do.

If this never happens, I will be ok. I don't want it for myself, I want it for Jayden. No matter what he accomplishes, I want him to always maintain his spirit, his happiness. If his continued development makes him happy, Mom will be happy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment